Amazon #1

Quiltvertiser #1

Welcome to My World

The rantings, philosophies, and memories of a retired military, ex-diplomat, tattooed biker chick, quilting o'lady, pagan college student step-mom.

No guilt trip here - I refuse to to cave into that trap - about anything. Everything happens for a reason (Karma? Fate? Destiny? Dumb Luck? or Free Will...) and it is what it is. I've come to a point in my life where I can accept that.

Eveyone always told me to write a book, because I have so many funny stories, life experiences, unique view points...but, a book? What a pain in the ass. Blogging seemed like the next best thing, so, if you're ready (and there's room enough for everyone!) fire up the bikes and lets ride....

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Kitchen Witch, evil eyes and Ganesh







I have a kitchen witch. I got her in Germany. According to Wikipedia, "A kitchen witch, sometimes called a cottage witch, and often called a "Scandinavian" kitchen witch doll, is a poppet, or homemade doll resembling a stereotypical witch or crone displayed in residential kitchens as a means to provide good luck and ward off bad spirits." My witch does a pretty good job, as the Ol' Man really likes my cooking, and I haven't made anything crappy in a long time. I made some banana bread, and the Ol' Man scarfed down the whole loaf in about a day! I also have evil eyes all around the house. I got them in Turkey. The Evil Eye Bead Amulet or Turkish Blue Glass Nazar Boncugu is thousands of years old. This talisman fights against the evil eye, gives protection and brings luck to all. It gives happiness to friends and the beloved ones. The Ol' Man has a Ganesh on the mantel. The Lord of Success, Ganesha is the son of Shiva and Parvati, has an elephantine countenance with a curved trunk and big ears, and a huge pot-bellied body of a human being. He is the Lord of success and destroyer of evils and obstacles. I'm a pagan, and I figure, it can't hurt to cover as many bases as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment