Amazon #1

Quiltvertiser #1

Welcome to My World

The rantings, philosophies, and memories of a retired military, ex-diplomat, tattooed biker chick, quilting o'lady, pagan college student step-mom.

No guilt trip here - I refuse to to cave into that trap - about anything. Everything happens for a reason (Karma? Fate? Destiny? Dumb Luck? or Free Will...) and it is what it is. I've come to a point in my life where I can accept that.

Eveyone always told me to write a book, because I have so many funny stories, life experiences, unique view points...but, a book? What a pain in the ass. Blogging seemed like the next best thing, so, if you're ready (and there's room enough for everyone!) fire up the bikes and lets ride....

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Post Office?

There was an article on the Internet that I read today (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601039&sid=aJ01reSCujDQ), and it spoke the truth to me. According to the article, at a town hall meeting in Portsmouth, NH yesterday, Obama said, “UPS and FedEx are doing just fine. It’s the Post Office that’s always having problems.” The article goes on to say, "The USPS lost $2.4 billion in the quarter ended in June and projects a net loss of $7 billion in fiscal 2009, outstanding debt of more than $10 billion and a cash shortfall of $1 billion." Then, why, in the name of the gods, would we we need or want a health-care system that works like the post office? The article asks, "What’s more, if the USPS is struggling to compete with private companies, as Obama implied, why introduce a government health-care option that would operate at the same disadvantage?" Hello? Anyone home? Are you getting this? The article also questions Obama - "He has failed repeatedly to explain how the government will provide more (health care) for less (money). He has failed to explain why increased demand for medical services without a concomitant increase in supply won’t lead to rationing by government bureaucrats as opposed to the market. And he has failed to explain why a Medicare-like model is desirable when Medicare itself is going broke." Damn good questions, I think. Questions I'd like to have the answer to, wouldn't you? I write/call/e-mail my elected representatives weekly, and, IF I even get a response, it's a generic, form letter. But, it is gratifying to see the citizens of America getting riled up.

No comments:

Post a Comment