Amazon #1

Quiltvertiser #1

Welcome to My World

The rantings, philosophies, and memories of a retired military, ex-diplomat, tattooed biker chick, quilting o'lady, pagan college student step-mom.

No guilt trip here - I refuse to to cave into that trap - about anything. Everything happens for a reason (Karma? Fate? Destiny? Dumb Luck? or Free Will...) and it is what it is. I've come to a point in my life where I can accept that.

Eveyone always told me to write a book, because I have so many funny stories, life experiences, unique view points...but, a book? What a pain in the ass. Blogging seemed like the next best thing, so, if you're ready (and there's room enough for everyone!) fire up the bikes and lets ride....

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

My Mother Died

My mom had lung cancer, and she died on Monday. Fortunately, I was able to be there to say goodbye. I flew to Chicago on Saturday, and got to see her Saturday night. I told her I loved her. I went back to the hospital on Sunday, and when the doctor came in (about 9:00am), he said it was pretty much done. I said, "No more chemo, no more radiation, right?" He said yes. I looked at Mom and asked her if she understood. She said, "Yes, it's hopeless". They started her on a continuous morphine drip, she closed her eyes, and gave up the fight - she didn't open her eyes again. She took her last breaths on Monday at 2:15pm. She looked like a cancer victim...hair thin and falling out all over her pillow, sunken face...not the picture I want to remember. I want to remember the picture of her when she was in her late 20's. She was beautiful...wearing a long red velvet dress, with white, over-the-elbow gloves, standing in front of the Christmas Tree at my Grandma's house, her hair done up so prettily. I want to remember her riding horses with me. After we die, who knows what happens to our spirits, but I like to think of her with my Grandma and Grandpa - she loved them so much. She was there when I was born, and I'm glad I got to be there when she died.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your mother. I'm sure she's riding free and with other loved ones.

    I know that face you described. My father died in April. Unfortunately he was already out of it when I arrived. I will tell you that the image will fade with time.

    ((((((( hugs ))))))))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sympathies! There is no replacement for mom. And no words make it any better. I am sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm truly sorry for your loss. Lung cancer is not a nice way to go, for the person, or for the loved ones. My mother died in '92 from Emphazema and her sister died years before from lung cancer. Not fun, but I'm sure she loved you very much and was very proud of you.

    I agree with you that it is best to focus on remembering her through things she enjoyed doing, and when she was in better health. In the future, I'm sure you'll come to realize she is still always with you.

    Hugs,

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    I'm sorry for the lost of your mom.
    I think it's the best for you remember her in the way that you describe.
    I lost my husband suddenly 4 months ago. It's hard, but that's life.

    ReplyDelete