Amazon #1

Quiltvertiser #1

Welcome to My World

The rantings, philosophies, and memories of a retired military, ex-diplomat, tattooed biker chick, quilting o'lady, pagan college student step-mom.

No guilt trip here - I refuse to to cave into that trap - about anything. Everything happens for a reason (Karma? Fate? Destiny? Dumb Luck? or Free Will...) and it is what it is. I've come to a point in my life where I can accept that.

Eveyone always told me to write a book, because I have so many funny stories, life experiences, unique view points...but, a book? What a pain in the ass. Blogging seemed like the next best thing, so, if you're ready (and there's room enough for everyone!) fire up the bikes and lets ride....

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

If You Bought It Off The Shelf, It's Not Custom

I made a trip to the Laconia Bike Rally once, back in the last century. I met some cool folks from Main. There was this one guy who had this rat Triumph home-made bike that was actually quite cool. It had a coffin gas tank and a raked front end. His helmet said, "If you're not like me, I hate you" and the gas tank proclaimed, "If you bought it off the shelf, it's not custom". While the first quote is a tad bit on the extreme side (we'll discuss that at a later time), I really liked the second. To me, it encapsulates the "wannabe's" of the world. "I really want something cool and unique, but I'm not 1) willing to spend the money to get a real custom job, or 2) I don't have the imagination to come up with something unique, or 3) I want to be cool, but I don't really want to work at it." According to Dictionary.com, custom, as an adjective is, "made specially for individual customers". Buying something everyone else can buy, having something everyone else has, doing something everyone else can do doesn't make you special or unique...it makes you normal. And there's nothing wrong with that, just don't prance around and think you're "custom". Kudos to those who truly embrace the life of CUSTOM.

1 comment:

  1. Also, custom stuff is made better & with love. That's kinda how I feel about furniture. After the last assembly line, particle board piece of boring furniture I bought, I vowed, "Never again!" ~JB
    P.S. I'm clicking annonymous cuz it's easier than creating a profile.

    ReplyDelete